Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bisexual Twin Peaks In College

Gregg Araki's new film Kaboom was shown at Cannes Film Festival back in May this year and I am just wishing and waiting for a screening some time soon in Melbourne so I can see it. Araki has described it as "bisexual Twin Peaks in college". Now I'm a massive Twin Peaks fan and the words 'bisexual' and 'Twin Peaks' in one sentence to describe a film sounds pretty good to me, especially if it's a Gregg Araki film, and it looks pretty accurately described judging by the trailer.



I feel like it maybe has a bit of a Skins vibe as well. The character London sort of reminds me of a less spaced out version of Cassie (maybe that's just her blonde hair and british accent). But then again Gregg Araki's Nowhere has a bit of a Skins vibe to it too and it was made ten years before Skins. Either way Kaboom looks awesome!



Kaboom appears to be more of a return to Araki's earlier films Totally Fucked Up, The Doom Generation and Nowhere, otherwise known as The Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy. These films are great, and James Duval, who starred in all three of the aforementioned movies, was a total babe and it's great to see that he will be making an appearance in Kaboom as 'The Messiah'.

Totally Fucked Up (1993), which was described as "a queer John Hughes flick" by Araki, is about six queer teens going about their lives together, The Doom Generation (1995) follows a couple played by James Duval and Rose McGowan who get involved in a ménage à trois with Johnathon Schaech and then are on the run after accidentally killing a convenience store owner, and Nowhere (1997) (which is probably my personal favourite of the three) follows the life of Dark (played by Duval) and his friends when some freaky sci-fi shit happens. So it appears that Araki has come back to just that - teenagers and freaky sci-fi shit. Sounds mighty fine to me.

Gregg Araki is one of my favourite directors and he has been a big name in new queer cinema. I'm really glad my friend introduced me to and leant me Mysterious Skin a few years ago which lead me to find out who this man was and the amazing films he's made. I'm very looking forward to seeing Kaboom.

2 comments:

  1. It Sure will be a great movie. Araki's the best director for this type of teen shit.
    Nowhere is a great movie.

    ReplyDelete