Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Hottest 100 Day

Australia Day for me is more like Triple J Hottest 100 day. If you are unfamiliar with the Triple J Hottest 100 it's a massive annual music poll which counts down the one hundred favourite songs of the previous year on Australia Day each year. 1.26 million votes! All over the world! 152 countries participated! Even Mark Ronson voted! Wow! Exclamation mark!

In alphabetical order of artist/band names these are the songs I voted for:

Gorillaz - Superfast Jellyfish {Ft. De La Soul & Gruff Rhys}
Janelle Monae - Tightrope {Ft. Big Boi}
Joanna Newsom - Good Intentions Paving Co.
Kimbra - Settle Down
Kyu - Pixiphony
Mark Ronson & The Business Intl -  Somebody To Love Me {Ft. Boy George & Andrew Wyatt}
Patrick Wolf - Time Of My Life
Robyn - Dancing On My Own
Washington - Underground
Yves Klein Blue - Walk On The Wild Side {Like A Version}


 These are the songs that really stand out for me in 2010. They are the songs that helped to make my year what it was. Some define specific events and some define whole series of events of my life in 2010. I saw Yves Klein Blue do Walk on the Wild Side just before jumping up on stage and dancing with them during Getting Wise (one of my most beloved live show experiences ever with my number one Australian music crush, Michael Tomlinson), I saw Megan Washington front and centre and snatched her setlist after the end of her beautiful performance, I saw Kyu in the boiling heat of the Worker's Club beat their chests like drums and scream amazing harmonies, and I can never forget dancing in my bedroom to Mark Ronson in my best Boy George getup. Most of these songs I've listened to while driving, with the window wound down all the way, the radio up way too loud, with me singing my heart out. There were so many other songs I wanted to include. Kanye, Sia, Cloud Control, Cold War Kids, the list goes on. I really had a hard time whittling down my shortlist to just ten songs, but there they are, my favourite songs of 2010.


There were a few surprises. Kanye West's Monster was only number 88! How on earth did that happen to such an amazing song with an amazing ensemble of guests? Nicki Minaj's verse alone is clearly deserving of top ten status. At least Runaway came in at fourteen. M.I.A.'s XXXO just missed out, coming in at 101, and there were no other M.I.A. songs. Ridiculous.

As disappointing as it is, I'm not surprised that barely any of the songs I voted for made the list, although I was surprised that Superfast Jellyfish by Gorillaz didn't make it. Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. just got into the top ten at number ten with Somebody To Love Me, which is probably my favourite song of the year. A lot of really great times come to mind when I hear it, and from the first time I heard it I fell in love with it. Just great music, great guest vocals, great lyrics, great everything. Ughhh, just such an amazing song.


One of the highlights was Big Boi coming in at 77 with Shutterbugg, which is not one of my favourite songs, but features some of my favourite funniest/worst lyrics of the year: "I'm shitting on niggers and peeing on the seat." I'm very happy that Washington got multiple songs in there, same with Gorillaz, Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. and Sia. It was also good to hear some songs from a bit earlier on in the year that I'd sort of forgotten about like Darwin Deez and You Got the Dirtee Love by Florence and Dizzee Rascal.

But anyway, the Hottest 100 top ten songs of 2010 are:
10. Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Somebody To Love Me {Ft. Boy George and Andrew Wyatt}
9. Art Vs. Science - Magic Fountain
8. The Wombats - Tokyo, Vampires and Wolves
7. Cee-Lo Green - Fuck You!
6. Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime
5. Boy & Bear - Fall At Your Feet
4. Birds of Tokyo - Plans
3. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
2. Little Red - Rock It
1. Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane

The Hottest 100 for me marks another year of music gone. Makes me wonder what 2011 will bring to me in terms of music, emotions, events, people etc. Fingers crossed for the Golden Ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment