Saturday, February 5, 2011

Clap Your Hands

On the 1st of February I saw Sia. When my friend texted me asking me if I wanted a ticket I said yes without hesitation. Part of my lack of hesitation was due to the heart wrenching article Sia wrote a few months ago about her quitting music due to her depression and dislike of fame. This is very likely to be her last tour ever, so how could I not get on that?


The show was amazing! She is so great and funny and I love how she can be so beautiful and so hilarious interchangeably, or even at the same time. She was painted black, wearing a black puffy top and a pink puffy tutu-like skirt. She had a painted black sheet of cardboard attached to her back, which camouflaged her painted black face and hair into the darkness. Possibly a comment on fame and feeling the need to not stand out for the sake of happiness? For the encore she came out in the same outfit, without the black cardboard and with a set of 'bubble wings', which with the help of some fans behind her blew bubbles out into the audience. Amazing!


Her little talks in between songs were so so so so hilarious. She just seems so lovely and down to earth. From getting the audience to heckle her to singling out and complimenting a seven year old girl who's outfit was inspired by the cover of We Are Born because she was singing along to every word. We later 'wrote' a collaborative audience/performer song which Sia dedicated to the seven year old. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I WISH I WAS THAT LITTLE GIRL! She was consistently communicating with the audience and it was so lovely. Really, she mentioned that parents are like TV channels and what words she used to mispronounce (ambulance as amblience).


Sia performed  a mixture of her two latest albums We Are Born and Some People Have Real Problems, with the exception of the song Breathe Me, which boosted her career when it was featured on the finale of the TV series Six Feet Under, of course (and oh my gosh it was too lovely to hear this song live ahhh). Her setlist was great. It's hard to even single out any highlights because it was all so spectacular. Before You Will Be Loved she assured us that the maths has been done and there are 1.4 million people out there for every single person, which was a lovely thought right before a lovely song. She signed the whole way through Soon We'll Be Found just like in the film clip.

I'm so glad I got to see Sia's (most probably) last tour everrrrr! I think I've already said it but oh my gosh she is so beautiful and funny and amazing and talented and spectacular. Oh, and her dogs' names are Pantera and Lick Lick Science.

No comments:

Post a Comment