Monday, December 6, 2010

Money, Success, Fame, Glamour

Michael Alig was cool and fabulous for a little while, until he got so disillusioned that he killed his drug dealer. But, yes, for a while there he was the king of the Club Kids and got paid to party. Imagine how cool it would be to go out every night, get dressed up, get fucked up, have fun and be paid for it. Extremely cool, that's how cool it'd be. Unless of course you spiral out of control and get sent to prison for manslaughter after becoming a decadent junkie mixing heroin, ketamine, rohypnol, and cocaine every night like Mr. Alig did, and then having your behaviour immortalised in a documentary and then a film based on the memoir Disco Bloodbath by fellow Club Kid James St. James starring Macaulay Culkin (baaaaabe) as you, detailing your rise and fall to and from Club Kid stardom. But let's put drugs and manslaughter aside and look into the other sides of being a Club Kid.


Let's start with the getting dressed up bit, which is something I very much enjoy doing. Creating new outfits for each night and piling on massive amounts of makeup in different designs would be tough work but the outcome would be great. I'd have a new theme every night; a geisha one night, Punjabi princess the next and King Louis XV or German school  boy (I'm thinking lederhosen) the nights after that, or I'd just make something up on the spot; pop on a corset and paint myself completely blue or cover myself in glitter. Sure I'd have to work on my sewing and make up skills, but it'd be worth it. I'd use Leigh Bowery as my main influence and throw in some Klaus Nomi, Boy George and The Cockettes for good measure. I'm sure I'd get a fair share of obscenities yelled at me on the streets, but that doesn't matter at all, in fact, I would take them as compliments (like that one night in the city when some guy tried to offend me by asking if I came from the circus, hehe).


Alig threw parties in fast food joints and on subway platforms. Partying in unconventional spaces (until the cops shut it down) would be so much fun. Sure, I've been a drunk nuisance in McDonald's plenty of times before, dancing, singing and throwing food around, but let's imagine me and my anti-social behaviour times by 300, having a fast food party. Instead of drink cards we'd have cheeseburger cards. We could even get some table top dancing going on, and dancing on the front counter.


The life of a Club Kid sounds pretty spectacular, but you wouldn't want to end up like the notorious party monster, who could be released from prison in late 2013. Who knows if Michael Alig will get back into the business of partying after his release... Maybe I should get into the business of partying. Maybe I should take Michael's advice to David in the autographed photograph above and just "go for it". But where would it lead me? Into a drugged stupor, oblivious to my surroundings? No thanks. But I do like to party.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post.

    I was once a Club kid (in fact I am still, although not a kid any more...). I started clubbing when I was 18 and never stopped. Some here's ago I even worked for a Club Disco being pay to throw parties.

    The drug thing is very heavy at night, but I always found a way not to get involved. So it's possible to be a club kid and not end in a drugged stupor...

    ReplyDelete